BACK IN THE GAME
Second Chance Fields, with help from the community, local companies and the specialty guidance from Luke Yoder, former Director of Field Maintenance for the San Diego Padres, fix up High School sports fields that are underfunded due to budget cuts, are unsafe or outdated.
If your San Diego Public High School field is in need of repairs, please submit a request to: Info@SCFields.org with ‘Back In The Game Request’ in the subject line, along with:
- A request letter stating what needs to be fixed and why. Include photos of the specified field/area.
- Include your contact info: Name, email, phone number and best time of day to contact you and how you are related to the school.
We will then contact you, your principal and district if we feel your school meets our requirements for our ‘Back In The Game” program.
FIELDS OF DREAMS
For High School fields in desperate need of a full remodel, Second Chance Fields steps in along with local companies to help tear down and rebuild a specific qualifying High School sports field.
To qualify your San Diego Public High School sports field, please email SCF at: Info@SCFields.org with the following info:
- A request letter describing why your field needs a full remodel (include photos of the field and any info about student athlete injuries).
- A letter from your school’s principal stating they approve of a full remodel to the specific field stated.
- Your contact info: Name, email, phone number and best time of day to contact you and how you are related to the school. Please put ‘Field of Dreams Request’ in your subject line.
We will then contact you, your principal and district if we feel your school meets our requirements for our ‘Field of Dreams’ program.
EDUCATION FOR ATHLETES
Most tutoring programs offered at High Schools are right after school, at the same time as the sports programs. We’ve created a new tutoring program specifically for High School athletes that allows them to get tutoring after their sports program twice a week in one hour sessions. Each sports team (girls, boys, JV, Varsity, etc.) will have a specific tutor working with their team for the whole season getting to know them, their teachers and their classes. Once their GPA drops to a 2.5 (or below) they will be required to join the ‘Education for Athletes’ program.
According to a CNN Report (http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa-athletes-reading-scores/index.html) some college athletes play like adults, but read at a 5th grade reading level. This shows a complete systematic breakdown of High School education within the sports department across the nation.
If your school is in need of our “Education For Athletes” program, please contact us at Info@SCFields.org with your name, email, phone number and best time to contact you. Please let us know how you are affiliated with the school you are requesting this program for.
SECOND CHANCE SCHOLARSHIPS (COMING SOON)
Second Chance Fields offers a scholarship to High School student athletes who had college scholarship offers, but had lost it due to a sports injury during their senior year of High School.
To be considered for a ‘Second Chance Scholarship’:
- You must currently be attending a public High School in the San Diego California School District and be in good standing to graduate with grades and attendance or have recently graduated within the last year.
- Write an essay about your injury including details on what happened, as well as what sports and going to college mean to you.
- Confirmation from the college you were offered a scholarship to.
- Copy of the Acceptance Letter for the college you plan on attending.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation, one from your High School Coach in your respective sport and the other from your High School Principal.
- Send your essay and the above mentioned info in an email to: Info@SCFields.org with ‘Second Chance Scholarship Applicant’ in the subject line. You must also include your name, email address and best phone number to reach you. If you are under the age of 18, you must also include your parent/guardians name, email and best phone number to contact them.
* If an item is missing or left out, you may be disqualified from the scholarship.
** Second Chance Fields has the right to choose an applicant at their discretion.
We will contact you to let you know if you are chosen for our Second Chance Scholarship. A list of annual winners will be posted on our website within two months of the deadline each year.